When it comes to sending rakhi to India, is it possible to not to talk about rakhi thali decoration ideas for rakhi 2022? Rakhi thali enjoys a special place in the sacred ritual of tying a rakhi around brother’s wrist.
Usually, sisters decorate rakhi thalis as per the family tradition. In a traditional Indian household, a pooja thali for Raksha Bandhan celebration can be of silver, steel, gold or other metal. It gets nice coating of craft paper or flowers or any other thing to make it more beautiful.
Sisters then draw a symbol of Swastika at the center of the thali as it is a traditional Hindu symbol drawn at the outset of any auspicious event or religious celebration. Depending upon the coating and the metal of the thali, nice diyas can be lighted. Some sisters also like to place idols of Lord Krishna or Ganesha or Goddess Lakshmi.
The placing of the rakhi too is decided by the beliefs of the family. Usually, rakhi is placed on the left of the thali. Moli or the zari is placed at the very front of the rakhi thread. In the decorated thali, roli, rice and other sweets too are placed.
A kalash of fresh water too is placed beside the thali as water is used to wet the kumkum or the roli so that a sister can do the tilak on the forehead of her brother before tying the rakhi.
This is just a basic type of decoration. There are so many unique rakhi thali decoration ideas. Let us explore each one of them thoroughly so that you can celebrate rakhi 2022 with lots of fun and creativity.
Silver thali decoration
Silver as a metal has a great significance in Hindu culture. Therefore, selecting a silver thali for rakhi 2022 is one of the best choices you can make.
There are many designer silver thalis available in the market that you can use for Raksha Bandhan celebration. You can also take a simple silver thali and decorate it in your own way. Some of the ways you can decorate silver thali are:
- A beautiful symbol of Swastika can be drawn with roli at the center of the silver thali
- Accompanying items like roli, chawal, moli, turmeric can be placed in silver bowls of different shapes
- A beautiful diya can be placed exactly on the Swastika at the center of the thali
- Idols of Lord Ganesha or Goddess Lakshmi too can be placed in the thali along with the beautiful flowers
- Last, but not the least, place some delicious sweets in your beautifully decorated silver thali and you are all set to celebrate rakhi 2022 with your royal silver thali!
Rakhi thali decoration with flowers
One of the most unique and yet quite traditional rakhi decoration thali ideas is to decorate your thali with flowers. In ancient times, flowers were used to decorate anything and everything. They were even used to make beautiful ornaments for both men and women.
For rakhi 2022 too, you can choose some beautiful flowers and floral designs to decorate your Raksha Bandhan thali. Place all the essential pooja ingredients like roli, chawal, mori, sweets and diya. And, you are all set to tie rakhi to your brother!
Rakhi thali decoration with bandhani cloth
Bandhani is a type of fabric design popular in the states of Rajasthan and Gujarat. It is so colourful and beautiful that it indeed changes the entire vibe of the thali that you want to use for your Raksha Bandhan celebration.
There are so many bandhani designs in so many colours and patterns. Most popular colours are red, maroon, green and yellow. However, if you like pastel colours like light pink or pista that too can make your rakhi thali look beautiful.
Following are some of the ways you can decorate your thali with bandhani cloth:
- Cut the cloth as per the size and shape of your thali. Paste it on the top of thali with durable adhesive
- Let it be until it dries and then place roli, chawal, rakhi, diya, some flower petals, and sweets for your brother.
- You can stick some beautiful mirrors, colourful sequins, shiny lace and create some unique designs on the thali.
Decorating thali with bandhani cloth is one of the super exciting rakhi thali decoration ideas. It will create colourful and vibrant vibes for your Raksha Bandhan celebration!
Rakhi thali decoration with sandalwood
Sandalwood or chandan is considered very auspicious in Hindu tradition. It has unique fragrance and soothing effect that serves as cooling agent for skin. Some of the ways you can decorate rakhi thali with sandalwood:
- Either take sandalwood powder or grind its block on stone and prepare a thick paste
- Cover the base of the thali with this paste. It is better to choose metal thali if you want to decorate it with sandalwood paste.
- Make sure the base is covered evenly without any gaps.
- Draw a beautiful symbol of Swastika in the middle of the thali. It would look stunning as the brown colour of sandalwood serves as a good contrasting background for Swastika symbol drawn with kumkum.
- Petals of roses and marigold would enhance this contrast
- Place roli, chawal, rakhi, diya and sweets as per your wish
You are ready to celebrate rakhi 2022 with sandalwood thali!
Rakhi thali decoration with mirror work
Mirror decoration gives your Raksha Bandhan celebration glitter and glamour! Mirror work is an integral part of Indian culture and it works best when you choose a white ceramic thali for your rakhi pooja.
White ceramic thali needs to be painted with red, maroon, green, yellow, orange or green. As the paint gets dried, it is time to unleash your creative instincts and decorate the thali with pretty mirrors.
You can do mirror work on small containers of roli, chawal and on the diya. You can also use ready-made containers with mirror works and decorate your thali accordingly.
Finally, when your thali is all shiny and glittery with your beautiful mirror designs, it is time to place rakhi, sweets and idols of gods and goddesses of your choice!
Rakhi thali decoration with mehendi
Have you ever thought that you can decorate your rakhi 2022 thali with mehendi? You haven’t, we bet! Mehendi is traditionally applied to hands and feet on auspicious occasions like marriage, engagement, and on other cultural events or festivals.
However, here we have one of the most unique rakhi thali decoration ideas of preparing your rakhi thali with intricate mehendi designs. Since, the mehendi designs on thali would be of bright colours, it is better to choose the thali which has white colour background.
Following are some of the ways you can decorate your rakhi thali with mehendi designs:
- Paint the simple steel thali with golden or silver fabric colour
- Choose bright coloured oil paints to draw intricate mehendi designs on rakhi thali
- Thin brush or glitter tube are best to draw mehendi designs
- Use of glitters can surely enhance the beauty of mehendi designs
- You can also draw mehendi designs on earthen diyas
- A shiny lace, mirrors or even kundan too can be used in accordance with the mehendi design
- The mehendi designs could be of peacock, swastika or intricate mandalas or any other design of your choice.
Once your rakhi thali with mehendi design is done, you can place your favourite roli, chawal, moli, and sweets along with your favourite rakhis, of course!
Rakhi thali decoration with bamboo
Bamboo is considered to be one of the lucky plants. When you choose bamboo rakhi thali for your rakhi 2022 celebration, you can think of many ways to decorate it beautifully.
Some ways you can decorate your bamboo thali for Raksha Bandhan celebration are:
- Choose a bamboo plate of a shape and size that reflects your sensibilities
- Cover your bamboo plate with any designer fabric of bright colour. You can even use bandhani cloth and make it bamboo bandhani rakhi thali too!
- Designer lace or moli or even pearl chains can be used to decorate the edges of the plate
- This can be decorated with mirrors or flowers too
- Having designed your bamboo plate your way, it is time to place roli, chawal, rakhi and sweets!
Rakhi thali decoration with pista
To decorate your rakhi thali with pista is one of the wisest and socially responsible rakhi thali decoration ideas for rakhi 2022 celebrations. When you use empty shells of pista, you are promoting upcycling which is the need of the hour when the world is facing immense challenges of climate change globally.
Some of the ways you can decorate your rakhi thali with pista:
- Stick bright colour velvet paper on your plate. Red or maroon usually goes well with pista
- Now, you can create as many designs as you may think of with the help of half pista shapes. Those designs can be floral, various types of mandalas or any other abstract design
- You can create a small circle of pista shells in which you can place roli and chawal.
- The beauty of this circle can be enhanced more by placing rakhi and sweets around it.
The decoration with hollow portions of pista facing upwards creates mesmerizing visual effect. Your rakhi 2022 would surely be memorable with this pista decoration!
Rakhi thali decoration with marble
The world is never tired of the Taj Mahal that is carved out of marble and is undoubtedly a labour of love! For your rakhi 2022 celebration, you can either choose already decorated marble thalis, or you can select a marble tile or a simple marble plate and design it on your own.
Invoke all your creative instincts and start decorating your rakhi thali with marble. If you choose a marble tile or a simple marble plate, you can
- Design it with glass paints
- Use sparkles, stones, beads, mirrors, sequins etc.
- Use hard thermocol cubes on the edges
Once, the marble rakhi thali is all set, place rakhi, sweets, roli and chawal as per your wish!
Rakhi thali decoration with bangles, pearls and other embellishments
Have you read our blog on lumba rakhi? It is a very popular tradition of the state of Rajasthan in India where sister ties rakhi with bangles to both brother and sister-in-law. And, when you decorate your rakhi thali with bangles too, it would be a perfect match with your rakhi 2022 celebrations!
You can decorate your rakhi thali with various types of bangles in various colours. Usually, red, maroon, or green colours look gorgeous. Some other embellishments that you can use to decorate your rakhi thali include pom pom, pearls, gota patti, candles etc.
Like every festival, the festival of Raksha Bandhan too gives us the space to be at our creative best.
It does not matter if you need to send rakhi to India in case you cannot be with your brother physically on the day of the festival, you can still choose any of these rakhi thali decoration ideas. You can prepare your rakhi thali wherever you are in the world and celebrate the festival online too.
Do share these ideas with your family and friends and make your rakhi 2022 super special.